The Wissahickon Valley Public Library (WVPL) is a limited public forum and provides a meeting space for library programs and for other meetings & programs of an informational, educational, cultural, and civic nature. The library community and conference rooms are available to the community consistent with the library’s mission of the expression and exchange of ideas. Use of the facilities by other community groups is allowed when not needed by library or library-related activities, programs, and meetings, and when such use does not interfere with or disrupt the programs, activities, and normal operations of the library, nor causes a security risk or safety hazard to library staff, property or patrons.
The Wissahickon Valley Public Library reserves the right to accept, renew, or reject requests for use of the Meeting Space under this policy. The Wissahickon Valley Public Library provides meeting room space as a public service but does not endorse the views or opinions of groups utilizing these facilities.
PRIORITY FOR USE
In the event of conflicts or multiple requests, use of the Meeting Space will be permitted according to the following priorities:
- WVPL Activities – events presented, directly or indirectly, by the Library.
- Library Related Activities–events presented or sponsored, directly or indirectly, by the Friends of the WVPL or similar library related organizations.
- Community Organizations–local governing bodies and administrative boards, serving the Library Community.
- Non-profit Organizations–educational, civic or cultural groups operating within the Library Community.
- For-profit Organizations
RULES AND REGULATIONS
1. FEE STRUCTURE
a. Community Room:
- Non-Profit renting ½ the Community Room, 0-45 people: no charge
- Non-Profit renting the full Community Room, 46-90 people: $75 charge
- For-Profit renting ½ the Community Room, 0-45 people: $150 charge
- For-Profit renting the full Community Room, 46-90 people: $225 charge
- Food and Beverage: $25 charge
Note: Non-Profit organizations (NPOs) please send proof of your non-profit status.
b. Conference Room:
- Non-Profit - no charge
- For-profit, up to 4 hours - $50 charge
- For-profit, 4 or more hours - $75 charge
- Food and Beverage - $15 charge
2. HOURS OF USE
All meetings shall be held during the Library’s hours of operation and shall end before the Library closes.
Monday-Thursday 10:00 AM – 8:00 PM
Friday-Saturday 10:00 AM – 5:00 PM
3. LIMITS OF USE
- The Board reserves the right to limit or deny use of the Meeting Space by organizations whose activities interfere with Library operations, adversely affect public safety or cause public disturbances.
- Library programs take precedence over any and all rentals in the Meeting Space.
- The Meeting Space may not be used for private social functions, fundraising (except library fundraisers), to solicit library patrons, or for religious ceremonies and instruction.
- Meeting room attendees may not leave children unattended in the Library.
- External rentals using the Meeting Space may not charge for attendance.
- Attendance at meetings is limited to the number permitted by order of the Fire Marshall:
Community Room = 90 people full room / 45 people half ( ½ ) room
Conference Room = 15 people full room
- The following are strictly prohibited in the Meeting Space: (a) smoking, (b) gambling, (c) alcoholic beverages (except for Library sponsored programs), (d) controlled substances, (e) pets and animals, other than necessary guide animals (except for Library sponsored programs), and (f) lighted candles or flames (except for Sterno used by caterers).
- The library staff is NOT at the disposal of the group. It is the responsibility of the group to provide any necessary assistance and/or equipment if it is not available in the Meeting Space.
- The group is responsible for cleaning the area immediately after use and placing all trash in proper receptacles.
- Use of the Meeting Space will not be confirmed until all required forms, fees, and certificates of insurance are received by the Library. Payment must be received 14 days prior to the rental. Make checks payable to Wissahickon Valley Public Library.
4. PUBLIC ACCOMODATION
Organizations using the Meeting Space must observe the public accommodation provisions of the Pennsylvania Human Relations Act under which it is unlawful “to discriminate against any person in the full use and enjoyment of such public accommodation, on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, ancestry, national origin, handicap or disability, use of guide or support animals due to blindness, deafness, or physical handicap, or because the user is a handler or trainer of such animals.”
Publicity for any event in the Community Room must clearly state that the organization is the SPONSOR and the Library is the LOCATION. Furthermore, the Library telephone number is not to be included in any news releases or flyers publicizing the event.
- In the event that the Library closes due to an emergency or inclement weather, use of the Meeting Space is automatically cancelled and the rental fees will be reimbursed. The renting organization’s contact person will be notified by the library. It is the responsibility of the organization to notify attendees of the cancellation.
- If the renting organizations cancels its event or meeting, they must notify the library 48 hours in advance in order to receive reimbursement of rental fees.
- The Library reserves the right to cancel any function due to natural disaster, power failure, weather, or other unforeseen circumstances. The Library will not be held responsible for any cost(s) incurred as a result of such cancellations.
PROCEDURES AND REQUIREMENTS
1. APPLICATION FOR USE
- Application for use of the Meeting Space and payment shall be submitted to the Administrative Assistant at least 14 days in advance and no more than one year in advance.
- The application form must be signed by an authorized representative of the group who shall attend the meeting and be responsible for the conduct of the meeting attendees and for any damages.
- Each application will be reviewed and the contact person will receive confirmation. The meeting rooms will not be considered scheduled until confirmation is sent.
- The group must furnish adequate insurance for bodily injury and property damage. Insurance certificate must indicate that Wissahickon Valley Public Library is named as additional insured on the policy and include a hold harmless agreement from the organization. Any exceptions must be cleared with the Library Director and/or the Library Board. The certificate of insurance (COI) should display limits of at least $500,000 each occurrence, $1,000,000 aggregate, and should add the WVPL Board Members, employees, and volunteers as additional insureds.
2. USE OF FOOD AND BEVERAGES
The organization shall specify if food or beverage is to be served. If so, an additional fee per function is charged. The organization must agree to clean the area immediately after use and to remove all trash and garbage from the building.
3. USE OF PROJECTOR
If you need to rent a projector, there is a $20 charge. Please include it in the check amount.
- Presentation Projector
- Movie Projector with Surround Sound
*Presenter must supply laptop computer, tablet, smart phone, movie, DVD, USB thumb drive, streaming video, etc. Library offers free Wi-Fi. We recommend that you test your presentation as soon as possible after your date is approved. Contact Anne Hall with questions or to test your presentation at: email@example.com or 215-646-1072 x35.
If the equipment is damaged, you will be charged the replacement cost.
4. ROOM SET-UP AND RESTORATION
The organization will be required to set up the room for the desired use and is expected to restore the room to the arrangement and condition in which it received the room. Nothing may be attached to the walls, ceiling, floor, furniture, or sliding room divider. All equipment belonging to the group must be removed immediately at the conclusion of the program or event. Failure to comply may result in a loss of use privilege and charges for maintenance, repair, or clean-up by the Library.
The Board may modify, amend or supplement this Policy and any applicable rules and regulations as it deems necessary and appropriate. At its discretion, the Board may exempt itself or any other organization as the Board deems appropriate, from the restrictions and requirements of this Policy and any applicable rules and regulations regarding use of the Community Room. The Board reserves the right to administer this Policy and other matters relating to use of the Community Room through a duly authorized committee.
To access an application or copy of this policy, please see the WVPL FORMS page.
Revised September 2021